Saturday, May 1, 2010

How to Get Rid of Head Lice

Question: I have a question. Now this may sound gross, but I have head lice. I have been trying to get rid of it for about 5 months now, I think. Any tips on what I can do?

YouTips4U: Hi, don't worry, I'm not bothered by your question at all. I know what a problem lice can be and I'm very glad you wrote. I have an upcoming video on this subject, but I don't want you to have to wait for that, so I will try to help now. 5 months is a long time to be suffering with this situation. Lice are very contagious and there's a good chance that you have given it to many people, so you may want to alert those close to you so everyone can be treated, otherwise you will just keep passing it back and forth and it will never go away. Plus lice can really do damage to your scalp and hair follicles so don't wait. You have to make this a priority in your life in order for you to get rid of them.

First, you must use one the over-the-counter products that kills lice like Nix.
This is a shampoo in type of product and you leave it on the scalp and it kills the lice and then you rinse. Be sure to follow the directions carefully. Then you have to use a nit comb (be sure to buy the metal one) to comb out the nits which are the eggs. Very often the comb comes in a Nix kit.



The Nix product that you applied will only kill the lice (adult bugs) not the eggs. The eggs have to be removed by hand and with the comb every single day. You also have to literally have someone go through each strand of hair and pick off the nits(eggs) because sometimes the comb can miss a few. Do this for 14 days. During that time the Nix is still working to kill the lice bugs if any happen to hatch. But removing the eggs is key.

You also have to place all stuffed animals and items that cannot be washed in the wash machine with hot water into a plastic bag for three weeks to make sure that all the eggs and lice that may have dropped onto these items get killed. All bedding, pillow cases, hats, coats, clothing, etc. that you have been wearing have to be washing in hot water and placed in the dryer on a hot setting. All combs, brushes, hair clips, anything that has been in your hair has to be boiled for 3-5 minutes to kill the eggs. If any other family member has this, you all need to do this same procedure.

I hope that helps. Good luck to you. I know how difficult this is, but if you stick with it, I promise you will rid yourself of this problem for good. Please be sure you are keeping your hair tied up securely in a bun so that you don't spread lice to anyone else.

3 comments:

  1. My two daughters and I had lice for just three weeks last november.The shapoos and liquids didn't work. The only way I got rid of them was with the electric comb. It is said it also kills the eggs and that must be true, because we did not get them back

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also use a nit comb and comb and comb through condition, olive oil and eucalyptus oil. It seems like there are a number of ways to get rid of it. You just have to make sure to be thorough down to the lice eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there was a time in our house, thet everybody had
    head lice. it was the worst time of our lives. we just didnt know what to do.. but thank god we eventually got rid of it.

    ReplyDelete