Thursday, April 14, 2011

How to Make Your Hair Color Last Longer - Tips for Pool, Sun, and Surf

Hi YouTips4U, what can I do to make my hair color last longer. It's so expensive to keep up and I feel it fades too quickly for me.


YouTips4U Ans. I know how frustrating that can be with certain hair colors. What you want to do is avoid prolonged sun exposure as that is the number one culprit of fading hair color. If you must be in the sun for an extended period of time, be sure you wear a hat and spray your hair with a UV block conditioner mixed with a little water. Also, you want to limit your hair's exposure to chlorinated pool water, this is another culprit in fading hair color. If you are a swimmer and being exposed to chlorinated pool water is a frequent occurrence, be very diligent about protecting your hair before you dive in. I recommend that you first wet your hair down with regular tap water and then apply either a hair oil like jojoba oil or olive oil, or use a conditioner. By wetting your hair down with regular tap water, you prevent your hair from absorbing the chlorine water because it has already absorbed the fresh water. Coating it with olive or jojoba oil will help block out the chlorinated water because oil repels water. It's also a wonderful way to condition your hair while you exercise. Lastly and also of great importance is "wear a swim cap" also called a bathing cap. Simply twist your hair into a bun and stuff it all under the cap. This will protect your hair from freely flowing through all the chlorinated water. When you come out of the pool rinse your hair well, shampoo and condition as usual.

Finally, to protect your hair color from fading, you want to use a shampoo for color-treated hair. These shampoos are specially formulated and gentle and will have the right combination of ingredients to make your color last. I highly recommend them. Please do avoid overwashing your hair; shampooing two to three times a week is sufficient. The more you shampoo, the more you can fade you color.

See you on YouTube,
-YouTips4U


3 comments:

  1. Hi! It's a fantastic stuff as it is very necessary to know how to keep Your hair colours last longer. Thanks for such an interesting stuff.
    Best Hair Colorists

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I would like to tell you that I really like your blog. I think that you are lovely person and your tips are very useful. Lída Czech Republic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lida, thanks so much for your kind words. I am so glad you are enjoying my blog. Have you visited me on YouTube. I have lots of helpful videos there that I think you will find very interesting. Take care :o)

    ReplyDelete