I recently uploaded a video to YouTube to help share my best tips to young adults to prevent wrinkles and premature aging of the skin https://youtu.be/q6s6CsjKmZg. If you are conscientious about taking care of your skin in your teens and twenties, you will have younger looking skin in the decades to follow. Damage that we do to our skin when we are younger is cumulative and shows up on our faces and bodies decades later. Here are 10 rules to follow if you want beautiful ageless skin:
1. Drink lots of water. Reach for spring water when you can.
2. Don't Smoke. Enough said.
3. Avoid drinking alcohol. Alcohol, like smoking, dehydrates the skin and causes premature aging.
4. Exercise. Increases blood flow and nutrients to skin.
5. Wear sunscreen to protect against both UVA and UVB rays. While I don't think you should be a vampire and avoid the sun because we all need sunshine to be healthy, I do want to remind you of the importance of having a barrier if you spend time in the sun. Ideally, you should always seek shade and cover up when you feel your skin becoming sensitive to the sun. That's your body's way of saying "I've had enough". However, there are times when we can't seek shade or we have to be outside for a bit longer than we would like (our kids' baseball games, hiking, etc.) For those times, sunscreen is a must.
6. Get enough deep sleep. While we sleep, our bodies repair and rejuvenate.
7. Eat a healthy plant heavy diet.
8. Avoid dehydrating your skin with excessively long and hot showers or baths. Opt for quick showers.
9. Wear sunglasses when in glare or bright sunlight. This helps to prevent squinting which causes fine lines to develop and they also help protect sensitive eye skin from the sun.
10. Keep stress to a minimum. Excess stress starves your body of oxygen and prevents nutrients from reaching your skin.
11. Moisturize your skin after you wash or shower. Keeping skin hydrated and supple with deter the formation of lines. Our faces are moving all day. This repeated movement causes wrinkles to appear as years go by. You can slow this process down dramatically if you do not have dry skin. Lines are more easily etched into dry skin, so keep your skin soft and smooth and hydrated by moisturizing.
I know when you're in your teens and twenties, your forties and fifties seem far away, but believe me the years go by quickly and before you know it, you look in the mirror and see wrinkles. Better to see them develop in your fifties, than in your thirties. You can start today taking better care of your skin, not just for your outer beauty but for your health as well.