Wednesday, August 12, 2009

How to Manage Grays with Highlighting

Hi, I have a question.
I'm in my early thirties and I have some gray hair just on the top of my head. I tried to highlight it just a tone lighter, the result was good but it's quite impossible to grab all the grays, so some remains. What would you suggest: to continue highlighting my hair or to try some semi-permanent color?(I'd prefer not to die all my hair, because I'm afraid to ruin it).
Thanks in advance



YouTips4U: Hi, unfortunately, you cannot highlight gray hair because it has no pigment to lift. What you can do is highlight the surrounding hair and it will just blend in with the gray and you won't notice it until the highlights start growing out and then you'll have to do it again. You can do this until you have so much gray that you cannot blend it anymore and then you can use a semi-permanent or permanent hair color application to your entire head of hair. I would keep highlighting as long as you can! The next step would be a semi-permanent hair color. If you do decide to use a semi-permanent color, don't worry because they wash out in about 28 days and many are quite gentle to your hair. Clairol Natural Instincts is a good one. Be careful though about using a semi-permanent color over highlights. I would call Clairol first (there's an 800 # on the box) and ask if it's o.k., or speak to a colorist at a salon before you place any type of color on highlighted hair. Years later when the grays become very heavy you can then switch to a permanent hair color.

No comments:

Post a Comment