Sunday, October 24, 2010

What's the Best Way to Eat Flaxseed?

Dear YouTips4U: I love all your videos about diet and exercise. Thank you for all your great information. Can you tell me what the best way to eat flaxseed is? I want to start adding it to my diet to get more Omega-3s and fiber.


Hi, I'm so glad you are enjoying my videos on YouTube. The best way to eat flaxseed is ground. Either buy it already ground or buy flaxseeds and grind them yourself as you need them. You can grind them in a coffee grinder or mini food processor. It is much easier to digest them when they are ground up, therefore, you absorb more of the nutrients, including Omega 3s. If you eat the whole seeds, they may pass through your body undigested. Be sure to keep your grounds flax meal or your flaxseeds in the refrigerator as they can spoil quickly once the package is opened. They will keep several months in the fridge. You can enjoy your healthy ground flax in your cereal, yogurt, bake it into muffins, brownies, and breads!

No comments:

Post a Comment