Saturday, July 30, 2011

I'm Obese and I Don't Know Where to Start With Exercise

Hi YouTips4U, I'm 100 pounds overweight and I don't know what to do to start exercising. I finally made up my mind that I want to do it, but I'm so reluctant to go to a gym because everyone there is thin and fit and I feel so out of place that I can hardly do any type of exercise for too long. What do you recommend I do?

YouTips4U Ans. Hi, first I want to congratulate you for taking action. That's wonderful and it's a very important step in your new lifestyle change. Exercise is so important and you should not be missing out on it because you feel self-conscious. I do understand your feelings about going to a gym, but as a member of a gym, I do want to tell you that people will not think anything but good things about you that you are trying to get in shape. You will be surprised how supportive going to a gym can be. That being said, there is no reason to force yourself to go if you are not comfortable because you want to succeed in your new fitness plan. So go to a gym if and when you're ready. I think a great place for you start would be to go walking. It's free, so you don't have to worry about expensive gym memberships and it's a wonderful way to get in shape. You can start small and add on to your time as you get fitter. So don't wait, start today. Just get a good pair of sneakers. I recommend running sneakers for their excellent cushioning. Find a pace that is comfortable, then see if you can up it a bit to where you are breathing heavier. This will help to improve your cardio vascular system. A great way to motivate yourself is to either listen to music as you walk with your iPod, or you can listen to books that you can download. Check out Apple iTunes. It's fun if you only listen to your book when walking, so you can look forward to hearing what's going to happen next each time you go out. It will keep you looking forward to your fitness walks. You'll want to add more time to your walks because you'll get so into your book, you want to keep listening. You can lose a lot of weight and get into great shape with walking, and you can add more intense sessions later on to challenge yourself; things like interval jogging etc. So, the bottom line is you don't have to go to a gym to get in shape, just put your sneakers on and head outside. I walk in every season of the year; no matter the temperature. I love it and you will too.

See you on YouTube,
-YouTips4U

1 comment:

  1. Great tip about listening to audio books while you run or walk.. especially if it an exciting book, you cannot wait to go jogging so you find out what happens next in the book.. hehe..

    But a quick tip for you is, instead of walking, try to do a power walk. Power walks are the best ways to lose weight fast, it is a lot better than running and it is better then walking because one hour of walking will burn the same calories as a half an hour of power walking ;)

    ReplyDelete