Saturday, July 30, 2011

Why Does My Skin Itch When I Go Jogging?

Question: Hi YouTips4u, I love your videos and helpful tips and I admire how fit you are so I was wondering if you might know the answer to my problem. I recently took up jogging to try and lose weight and get in shape, but my skin itches so badly while I'm running. It feels like tons of mosquito bites. I even thought at one point that I was getting bitten because it was daybreak when I was running, but I didn't see any bugs on me. Anyway, it's so annoying, I have to stop and scratch constantly, but then it feels like it gets worse. What could this be?

YouTips4U Ans. Hi, I totally understand your frustration with this. I, too, have experienced the same thing on occasion. I get it mostly in the summer months; not sure why. What I can tell you is that it has to do with blood flow. When you go jogging, the blood starts to flow away from your skin's surface to your larger muscles and internal organs where it's needed for the exertion. This movement of blood flow away from the skin causes your skin to become tingly and itch. When you stop doing the exercise, it goes away because the blood will resume it's regular flow again. Sometimes it goes away while exercising as your body adjusts.

I have found that wearing tight exercise pants or leggings rather than shorts really helps. It keeps your skin from moving and shaking which I think really contributes to it.

See you on YouTube,
-YouTips4U

No comments:

Post a Comment